Here are ten things Bessie Smith sang that you should try to work into a conversation or drink order today.
These are arranged top to bottom, from lurid and sad to gin and beer to really scary. And, I’m sure Bessie would agree that pronouns can be changed.
Happy Birthday, Bessie!
- He poured my first cabbage and he made it awful hot
- He’s a deep sea diver with a stroke that can’t go wrong
- My man’s gone back to his used-to-be
- There’s nineteen men livin’ in my neighborhood
Eighteen of them are fools and the one ain’t no doggone good
- Gimme a pigfoot and a bottle of beer
- Give me a reaper and a gang of gin.
- I don’t want no porkchop just give me gin instead.
- I’ll fight the army, navy just me and my gin.
- Something moan in the corner, I went over and see
It was the bed bug mother prayin’, Lord, gimme some more to eat
- Demons with their eyelash